Please log in to subscribe to updates for this article
Last updated at Sun Mar 08 17:10, by Shadowfury
About Facebook Calendar Sync ⇑ topThis app is only compatible with Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) or newer devices.
This is a Facebook calendar sync app written for Android. I looked everywhere on the Android app store for a Facebook sync app that worked as its own calendar provider. Rather than syncing with the Google calendar, this app generates its own calendar within Android for syncing and storing Facebook events.
The app stores Facebook events in 5 calendars:
- Events I'm Attending: Contains events the user has RSVP'd as "Going"
- Events I May Be Attending: Contains events the user has RSVP'd as "Maybe"
- Events I Am Not Attending: Contains events the user has RSVP'd as "Not Going"
- Events I Have Not Responded To: Contains events the user has been invited to but not responded to
- Friends' Birthdays: User's friends' birthdays
- Sync issues with Google services do not cause ghosted or duplicate events
- Use this app on all your Android devices without worrying about collisions between sync processes on multiple devices
- Use of Android's built-in account management, sync, and calendar APIs improves sync reliability and battery life on your device
Features ⇑ topAndroid 4.0+:
- Set sync schedule (added in version 0.3): Set how often the app will sync with Facebook. This is not an exact setting, since the SyncAdapter is controlled by Android directly, but Android will do its best to sync at your desired sync rate.
- Calendar colors (added in version 0.5): Choose a user-defined color for each of the five calendars the app creates.
- Sync event attendees (added in version 0.1): Synchronize attendees that have responded as "Attending" or "Maybe"
- Custom app link (added in version 0.4): Adds Facebook link to all events created by this app. Requires your calendar app to support CUSTOM_APP_URI. The default Google Calendar app does this by adding a button just after the event description. Link will take the user to the Facebook event page (if clicked in an event) or friend's Facebook profile (if clicked in a friend's birthday).
Important Notes ⇑ top
- I am actively working on developing/improving this app. Please provide any comments/issues/suggestions so I can make this a better utility for Android Facebook users everywhere.
- This app is an Android AccountManager ONLY. It DOES NOT generate an app icon in the app drawer. To use this app, go to "Settings -> Accounts & Sync" and select "Add Account".
- This app REQUIRES that you have the Facebook app installed on your device before creating an account. This app obtains an authorization token from the Facebook app in order to use your permissions on Facebook.
- If you attempt to add a calendar sync account before adding your Facebook account, you will see a username and password form. This form is generated by the Facebook app, NOT by this app. The username and password you enter in that form ARE NOT accessible by this app and ARE NOT stored by this app. Your username and password are only accessible to the official Facebook app.